Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

I just detest it when someone says "do you want the good news or bad news first?"  Probably because I can never really decide but the logical part of me knows I should hear the bad news first so I won't get too excited over the good.  Then it spoils the good.  Who knows!  You will get to know the bad news here first because I want your heart to hurt, pause and then leave uplifted and hopefully happy.  Like a band-aid I'll get to it. None no not one of the eggs hatched!  Ok this may be worse news for me than you.  I feel defeated.  I researched, studied and researched more how to perfectly hatch. Stood vigil day and night; hand turning and recording temps, humidity and candling results.  Lost sleep lots of sleep and was preoccupied beyond normal with chicken embryos.  In the last days only four were developing and had hopes of hatching.  Three stopped developing shortly thereafter and the last is the worse.  It was chirping and moving the egg on Wednesday morning.  I'd chirp and it chirped back.  I just new by my lunch break it would be hatching. Lunch break nothing not even a chirp.  I hated that I had to work!  My gut said to open it but every thing I read said be patient to let mother nature do her job.  By 5pm I intervened to find that the shell was too hard for it to get out and it had suffocated!  So depressing but another lesson learned.  The other three I slowly opened and found very under developed but not before thinking I heard their suffocating chirps in my brain all night!

Warning: Dead inedible chick look away if you cannot handle suffocated unborn nature...
I still think it's cute...
No mom I did not bury them. I have grown.
Way under developed.

Enough bad news!

The chickens below are Bearded Belgian D'Uccles.  They are a bantam, small chicken, that is very pretty and calm.  They are heavily feathered with beards and booties.  They are considered rare.
Porcelain

Mille Fleur

We now have one of each of these!!  Both pullets (females).  Our Porcelain, Ivy is 9 weeks old and our Mille, Laci is 5 weeks old.  I actually found them and brought them home as a "surprise".  Upon seeing them it took Mike approx 30 minutes to name both of them and include them in the phrase "his girls".  Funny I realized then I had only named one chicken out of seven....  I'm ok with that because I just love that we have something we both enjoy.  Also I'm saving my names for the future cochin chicks I will have soon!

Ivy and Laci






No comments:

Post a Comment